Hello GEKA Community,
Re: Term 3 Guidelines – Restricted Environments during COVID-19
Yesterday the Victorian Government made a series of significant announcements about the introduction of new measures across metropolitan Melbourne and Mitchell Shire to reduce the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19).
The new restrictions for metropolitan Melbourne and Mitchell Shire means people living in these areas can only leave their homes for the following reasons:
- shopping for essential food and supplies
- care and caregiving
- study or work – if it can’t be done from home.
What does this mean for Kindergarten?
The current advice from Victoria’s Chief Health Officer and the Australian Health Protection Principal Committee (AHPPC) is that Early Childhood Education and Care (ECEC) services, including Kindergartens, can continue to operate, with appropriate risk-mitigation measures in place (unless instructed by the Department of Health and Human Services to close).
This means that GEKA will reopen at the start of Term 3, from next Monday 13 July.
Regardless of where families live, your child can continue to attend kindergarten.
As previously communicated, all families will receive some fee relief in term 3 (this applies to everyone, even if you choose not to send your child to kindergarten). Details can be found here: https://geka.org.au/term-3-fee-relief/
If you do choose to send your child to kindergarten, the following restrictions will be in place, as per term two:
- Temperature checking of children on arrival and throughout the day as needed.
- Families will be restricted to the entrance/gate area only (as per term 2), and not permitted inside the service.
- If children are unwell, or displaying signs/symptoms of being unwell, please keep them at home. Educators are required to refuse entry to anyone that is displaying signs/symptoms
- If children develop symptoms throughout the day, the family will be contacted and asked to collect their child.
- Protective equipment, including disposable gloves, masks and aprons are available for educators to use to minimise risk – please prepare your child.
- Additional cleaning of high touch surfaces will continue to be completed nightly (door handles, light switches, taps, phones etc).
- Excursions into the community continue to be postponed, along with incursions – no outside staff can access the program at this time.
The GEKA website will continue to contain key information about being open, within a restricted environment.
Service Tours have been cancelled for July and August, with prospective families offered one-on-one or small group tours, outside of session times.
We are very fortunate that there are currently no active cases of COVID-19 in Glen Eira municipality.
The team at GEKA, including our volunteer parent groups, are working really hard to maintain connections and to meet the individual needs of families, so please respect that we are doing the very best we can, in really difficult circumstances. Thank you everyone in advance for your patience and understanding so we can work together to keep our whole community safe.
Comments are closed.